Monday, July 25, 2016

Blueberry Banana Muffins

There was a time when I wasn't much of a breakfast person.  When I did eat breakfast, though, one of my favorite things to make was a bag of those pre-packaged blueberry muffins.

The smell of blueberry muffins baking in the oven and the anticipation of eating them hot from  the oven and dripping with butter was almost more than I could handle!!

Yes, this was before my clean eating days.  ;)

After I got into clean eating, I didn't feel the bag of pre-packaged blueberry muffins was worth it...one look at the list of ingredients was enough to make them less appetizing and not nearly as enjoyable.  (Some not-so-clean foods are worth it for a treat meal...after all, I don't eat 100% clean!  Pre-packaged blueberry muffins are just not one of those foods for me.)

Still, there were times when I found myself craving blueberry muffins.

And so, I attempted to make a clean blueberry muffin recipe.

As I mixed the batter and filled the muffin cups, I felt the excitement building with me.  As they baked, that fabulous blueberry muffin smell filled the kitchen, and when those muffins came out of the oven, they looked divine!!

I couldn't wait to eat them.

I chose the most delicious looking muffin (of course!), put a little butter on top and in the middle, waited a few seconds for the butter to melt, and then sunk my teeth into the muffin, expecting a perfect ending to my story.

So...you can imagine my disappointment when they tasted...BLAH.

In fact, the taste was so lacking that I couldn't bring myself to eat anymore of them.  Ha ha!

After that experience, I was quite a bit more hesitant to make homemade clean muffins (or homemade clean breads of any kind, for that matter, as I've had similar fails with bread), mostly because I seem to be super picky with this and there is nothing I hate more than wasting food!

But, when a friend of mine shared a picture of mini blueberry muffins she made, the craving returned full throttle and I decided to give it another whirl.

Photo Credit: Kelli Anderson
Good news...these muffins were absolutely worth it!!  My recipe is a cleaned-up version of the muffin recipe found here; I haven't tried the original recipe.  I love the cleaned-up version.  ;)

Today was the third time we've made these muffins.  My little man was my kitchen helper; I love doing things like this with him.  He pulled his little chair up to the counter so he could stand on it to help measure out ingredients and dump them into the various bowls.


He also picked which baking cups we used (the colorful ones!) and put them in the muffin tin for me.  He is my mini chef and an awesome little helper!


Everyone in my family loves these!  My hubby says they taste just like banana bread and my toddler asks for "more muffins!"  We have to restrain ourselves to keep from eating the entire pan!! ;)


I hope you and yours enjoy them just as much as we do!

Blueberry Banana Muffins

Makes: 12 Regular Muffins or 24 Mini Muffins
Serving Size: 1 Regular Muffin or 2 Mini Muffins
Calories: 1 Regular Muffin = 129 Calories (per My Fitness Pal)

Ingredients:
  • Approx. Container Equivalents: 1 Regular Muffin = 1 1/2 Yellow
    1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp honey (30 grams)
  • 2 Tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
  • 2 Tbsp melted extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 ripe banana, smashed
  • Butter (optional)

Directions:
  1. Generously grease muffin pan (12-cup regular or 24-cup mini) with non-stick spray.  Alternatively, use baking cups.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar.  Set aside; let mixture stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.  When the mixture is ready, the milk will be slightly thickened and you will see small curdled bits.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Sift together with a wire whisk.
  4. In another bowl, combine egg, honey, and maple syrup; whisk to blend.  Then add in milk mixture and melted coconut oil; whisk to blend.
  5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.  
  6. Stir in smashed banana and then gently fold in blueberries.
  7. Divide batter among muffin cups.  Sprinkle a few blueberries on top of each muffin.
  8. Bake mini muffins for 8-9 minutes and regular muffins for 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 
  9. Let cool slightly and then remove from pan.  If baking cups were not used, you may need to use a toothpick around the edges to separate the muffins from the pan.
  10. Serve immediately.  Top with warmed butter, if desired.  These muffins are also great as leftovers with no added butter.

If you are a blueberry muffin lover like us, looking for a healthier option, try these!  And comment below to let us know what you think!

You may find it hard to limit yourself to just 1 or 2!  ;)

Enjoy!!

 Deise

No comments:

Post a Comment