Monday, May 23, 2016

Cheesy Chicken & Rice

We got back from vacation this morning!!

I was excited for vacation and the opportunity to be a good example of how to eat healthy and exercise while traveling...

Ha!

Ya, that didn't happen.

I didn't workout even one time and my diet was awful.

But, we had fun!!

And now, I am SO ready to get back on the healthy living train.  I have a fitness group starting today and I couldn't be more excited!!  I think I'm going to start PiYo on Wednesday.

But I digress...

One thing that we always look forward to after getting back from vacation is having a healthy, home cooked meal for dinner!

It just feels and tastes SO good.

Tonight, I modified a recipe from one of my upline coaches.  I'm calling it Cheesy Chicken & Rice.

My toddler hasn't had a chance to try it yet, but my hubby was a fan! 

Cheesy Chicken & Rice

Makes: ~5-6 cups
Serving Size: ~1 1/2 cups

Approx. Container Equivalents: 1 Yellow, 1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1 Blue
Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 cup organic baby carrots, chopped
  • 1 can (14.5-oz) low-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 pouches Seeds of Change Organic Rice and Quinoa
  • 2 cups pre-cooked chicken, diced
  • Cheddar cheese, finely shredded

Directions:
  1. Saute onion and carrots in butter until carrots are "semi-soft."
  2. Add in broth, rice/quinoa, and chicken.
  3. Simmer 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
  4. Serve immediately.  Top individual servings with finely shredded cheddar cheese.
This recipe is not quite clean, as I don't think the Seeds of Change Organic Rice and Quinoa is perfectly clean...but it is a much better option for a quick dinner than most other packaged rice options you will find in the store!  If you already have the chicken cooked and diced, this is a SUPER fast recipe to make.

If you'd like an even cleaner version of this recipe, you could cook brown rice and/or Quinoa yourself from scratch and use that instead of the Seeds of Change Organic Rice and Quinoa.  You'd need about 4 cups total cooked.

Enjoy!!

 Deise

1 comment:

  1. Update...my toddler had it as leftovers for dinner tonight and liked it! Recipe is officially toddler approved in our house. ;)

    ReplyDelete