Thursday, May 12, 2016

Banana Oat Pancakes

I've been getting more adventurous with breakfast recipes this week because my normal go-to breakfasts haven't been sounding that great to me.

Has that every happened to you?!

Normally I have something with eggs for breakfast because I like to include protein if possible...but I've been having a hard time with protein in general lately.

Ever since I started making new things for breakfast, my little guy makes breakfast requests.  

It's pretty adorable.

It used to be that I just made whatever I felt like and he ate it, too.  

Now, he is vocalizing his own preferences, and I just love that.

Today, he asked for pancakes!

I made these Banana Oat Pancakes a few days ago, and my little man LOVED them!  He ate more than I did, which was crazy!

Apparently he remembered how much he liked them.  ;)

This recipe is from the FIXATE Cookbook.  It is SO easy to make, and tasty, too!  

My little guy will eat these pancakes plain.  Personally, I like to dip mine in a little bit of pure maple syrup (about 1 tsp per pancake).  And of course, breakfast is never complete without a side of fruit!!  ;)

How do you like to eat your pancakes?!

Banana Oat Pancakes

Makes: ~8 pancakes
Serving Size: 2 pancakes

Ingredients:
Container Equivalents: 1 Yellow, 1/2 Purple
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large ripe banana
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
  • 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp organic coconut oil
  • 3 cups fresh mixed berries

Directions:
  1. Place almond milk, eggs, banana, extract, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and oats in blender; cover.  Blend until smooth.
  2. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
  3. Pour 1/4 cup batter into the skillet; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until bubbles from around the edges of the pancake.  Flip with spatula; cool for an additional 90 seconds.
  4. Continue with remaining batter.
  5. Serve with fresh berries.

The best part about this breakfast was having my little guy help me mix up the batter!  I love that he's getting big enough to "help" with cooking.  Those are some of the fondest memories I have with my mom.

Do you have any kids who who like to help you cook?!

What sorts of things do you do to involve your kids in the kitchen?

I would love to hear - you know I'm always looking for new ideas!

 Deise

No comments:

Post a Comment